Monday, June 2, 2008

New Poll

Okay, it's up! Should I buy Ethan a leash for Disney World?  For those of you that know him, you know that he will NOT be content to sit in a stroller.  He likes to walk, actually he likes to run.  He has gotten better lately about holding my hand.  I have to give him a choice, and say "you can hold mommy's hand, or sit in the stroller".  He almost always picks my hand and does pretty well.  But, Disney World is big and busy.  Also, we will have four adults and only one child on this trip, so that's a lot of eyes on him.  My parents are going with us, so they will help with hand holding, I'm sure.  Anyway, I need more input! Thanks!! Please leave comments! Sign up if you don't have an account, it's easy!  

16 comments:

Heather said...

Leash him. I normally wouldn't say that but for a park that size it would just be too easy for him to slip away and get lost in the crowd fast. I agree with you too, the stroller thing won't work with Ethan, except when he gets tired. With all the running around I hope he wears out pretty quickly for your sake! How fun!

Katy said...

I totally would!! It isn't like you have to use it the entire time, KWIM? It isn't like they are uber expensive, it would never be a waste of money.

Kaylene said...

Get the harness! How much does he weight? Will he tolerate being worn? If so then that'd be a great way to keep him happy once he's tuckered out. Or you can just go back to the front and rent a stroller at that point.

kristykh said...

Well, my friend Angela just got back from Disney with her almost three year old. He is into everything, and seems to be a lot like Ethan from the sound of things. They tried the leash and put it on him at Disney. He ended up throwing himself on the ground, screaming until she took it off. He did great walking on his own.

Marla said...

Kristy I could maybe see him doing that. We would have to practice before hand if we did get one.

Kaylene, he weighs about 28 pounds right now. We would also bring our stroller, just to hold our snacks and stuff. He will probably sit in it when he's tired. There are days that he loves sitting in the stroller, but those days are few and far between.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Amber said...

You know my vote Marla! Have fun at Disneyworld! Hopefully when we go to Couthern CAlifornia next week we'll make it to Disneyland. Noa has been requesting a visit to "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" for weeks!

Marla said...

Awww! That is so cute Amber! I know you use the leash! I like the one that you had on your blog also! Have fun in california! That's a long plane ride!!

Kate said...

Can we not call it a leash? LOL I say do it. We're going to get one when we go to Disneyland in November. Charlotte's not really a wanderer, but I want her to have a little bit of walking freedom while we're there, and I will just feel better if she's tied to us.

Marla said...

LOL I know, a leash sounds horrible!!! How about restraining device? LOL

Beth said...

You could call it a "backpack" since that's what they look like nowadays. And practice playing Diego with his cool backpack that he could put dinosaurs in! Then you could hook the...uh...let's call it a "safety strap" to it at Disney World. Good luck! I can't wait to see pictures!

Anna said...

Those Teddy Bear Harness things are really cute!
Better safe than sorry, you wouldn't want to lose him in a crowd!
I will be doing the same with Christopher on our outings this summer!

Nana Scott XOXO said...

Josh has the monkey one. He LOVES it!! I used it when we went to Cabo and the cruise- it was great. I love that thing. I say do it!

Marla said...

Oh, Kelly I want to see a picture of Joshy with the monkey. I bet he was so cute! Did you let him pick it out?

Unknown said...

I detest it when I see a kid leashed, and I think I am the only one who voted no so far....I guess I am just the weird one...which doesn't surprise me.

I just think that it is so "dog like". I think you have to train them young and the idea of holding a hand or going in the stroller is a much better way of teaching a child boundaries...eventually you can work up to, "if you can't see me, I can't see you."

My mom had seven kids and NEVER leashed any of us.

And, there you have it...my BIG FAT opinion. My other opinion is that every parent should do what works for them. So, know that my opinion is for MY kids, and you can do what you want for your kid. And, if I ever see him in a leash, I will try and pretend like I don't notice. :)

Unknown said...

P.S. FOUR ADULTS to one child...I think that you shouldn't need a leash :) Can I borrow a couple of your adults for my next vacation....how fun!

Marla said...

LOL Alice!!! That's an opinion alright! Yeah, that's always how I felt also, until I had Ethan. He's so energetic. LOL But, with 4 adults how hard can it be? Plus he'll probably just stay glued to Grandma and Grandpa the entire time!!